"Overcoming Societal Bias: Embracing Personal Passion in Pakistani Education"

In Pakistani society, it is unfortunate that people often judge others based on their educational background. This judgmental attitude can be particularly challenging, as it places significant pressure on individuals to conform to societal expectations and pursue certain fields of study. This issue is deeply personal for me, as I experienced it firsthand within my own family. At the age of 18, while studying pre-engineering in college, I made the difficult decision to change my path, realizing that my skills in mathematics were lacking. With a genuine interest in journalism, I chose to pursue it as my subject of study for my graduation. Little did I know that this decision would be met with disapproval from my father. Recently, when a friend of my father visited our home, I found myself in an uncomfortable situation. As I was serving them juice, the guest inquired about my studies, and I proudly responded that I was studying journalism.

However, before I could share any further details, my father swiftly interrupted, making it a point to mention that I had left engineering to pursue journalism. This incident was embarrassing for me, as it became clear that my father considered journalism to be an inferior subject compared to engineering. His interruption seemed motivated by a desire to prevent his friend from perceiving me as a mediocre student who had settled for journalism due to a lack of ability. This incident highlighted the prevailing mentality in our society that values certain fields of study over others, leading to the marginalization and underappreciation of individuals pursuing their passions and interests.

 It is disheartening to witness the disregard for personal choice and the dismissal of the potential and value of subjects like journalism. Every field has its own significance and offers unique opportunities for personal growth and contribution to society. It is crucial for us to challenge these preconceived notions and embrace the diversity of talents and interests that exist among individuals. Education should be a means of nurturing individual potential and passion, rather than a platform for judgment and social validation.

Ultimately, it is my hope that Pakistani society evolves to recognize and appreciate the diverse educational pursuits of its individuals. By breaking free from rigid expectations and embracing the value of personal choice, we can create a more inclusive and supportive environment that allows everyone to pursue their dreams and contribute meaningfully to society, regardless of the field they choose to study.

Thoughts / Syed Azam Ali Shah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love's Strength: A Powerful Force for Good

Tickled by Time: Adventures of a Chuckling Universe

Short Introduction of Sociology by Azam Shah